Friday 6 January 2012

The morning after

Being told our 12 week old daughter has a life threatening disease is something I thought would never happen to us. I've heard plenty of peoples stories of someone close to them having cancer and I've always thought it would never happen to me. Especially not to Karagh. When we were first told in Portlaoise I thought to myself sure babies this small cant get cancer. How wrong was I. We didn't sleep a wink that night. I thought morning would never come so Keith could come back to us in the hospital. Karagh went to theatre that day to have a biopsy done on the tumor, she had some bone marrow taken to be tested and also had her Hickman line inserted (Freddie as its called on Johns ward!) She was in theatre for 2 and a half hours. She started chemo after her surgery and had it fir 3 days. Her hemoglobin levels dropped after her first lot of chemo and she had a blood transfusion. We were discharged from Crumlin on Friday the 2nd of December. I was a bit nervous at first because I wasn't sure what to expect or how to know if something was wrong with her. Doctors had said to us that she will more than likely be vomiting and have diarrhea, but she was great! She had no side effects from the chemo except being a bit pale. It was then we realized how much of a little fighter she is and is going to continue to be!

1 comment:

  1. Thinking of you and Karagh.XXX I have a daughter the same age and dont even want to think of what you are going through. You are in my prayers.
    Annemarie

    ReplyDelete